The Rockefeller in pictures (1930s)    (if you don't see a menu on the left, use this link)
The National Institute of Physics and Chemistry was a beautiful building dedicated to scientific research and funded by the Rockefeller Junior Foundation. The aim of this institute, nowadays called Institute of Physical-Chemistry "Rocasolano" inherited the principles of the JAE, an independent teaching and research institution, created in 1907 and aimed to help Spain’s to end its isolation and forge links with European science and culture.
   
The former "Rockefeller" Institute. Click on it to get a larger image
The former National Institute of Physics and Chemistry (Instituto Nacional de Física y Química, Madrid, 1932).
Its nickname, “The Rockefeller” was due to the fact that it was built using funds ($420.000) from the Rockefeller Junior Foundation.


 

El contenido de esta página requiere una versión más reciente de Adobe Flash Player.

Obtener Adobe Flash Player


 
The Rockefeller was inaugurated on February 6th 1932 by Fernando de los Ríos, the Minister of Public Instruction.
Niceto Alcalá-Zamora, President of the 2nd Spanish Republic, visited the new building on March 7th 1932.


   
X-ray laboratory in the Rockefeller. Click on it to get a larger image      Back Back
The X-ray laboratory during the 1930's. Julio Palacios is standing on the left, behind the X-ray tube
     
A physics lab in the Rockefeller. Click on it to get a larger image     Back Back
One of the physics laboratories

  A chemistry lab in the Rockefeller. Click on it to get a larger image    Back Back
One of the chemistry laboratories
   
Big auditorium in the Rockefeller. Click on it to get a larger image     Back Back
The big auditorium
The workshop in the Rockefeller. Click on it to get a larger image    Back Back
Part of the workshop
 
The batteries room in the Rockefeller. Click on it to get a larger image    Back Back
The batteries room